Aligarh Muslim University was established as Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College in 1875 by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan. In 1920 College became Aligarh Muslim University. It is an Indian public central university located in the city of Aligarh. It has its three off-campus centres at Murshidabad (West Bengal), Kishanganj (Bihar) and Malappuram (Kerala). Under the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution at its commencement university is an Institute of National Importance provided.
Aligarh Muslim University was established by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan who was a great Muslim reformer and statesman. Raja Jai Kishan helped Sir Syed in establishing the university. To acquire proficiency in the English language and Western sciences Sir Syed saw a need for Muslims. To translate Western works into Indian languages as a prelude to prepare the community, his purpose for the establishment of the Scientific Society in 1864. To publish the periodical, 'Tehzibul Akhlaq' in 1870 intense desire to ameliorate the social conditions of Indian Muslims led Sir Syed.
|Institute Type||Central University|
|Name of the Institute||Aligarh Muslim University - AMU|
|Location||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Affiliated||Govt. of Uttar Pradesh|