Until 1936, when Odisha was made into a different territory, all its schools were under the locale of either Patna University or Andhra College. Consequently, the legislature of Odisha, headed by Shri Biswanath Dash, the then Prime Minister; named a council on second Walk 1938 with Pandit Nilakantha Das as its Chairman to inspect the plausibility of building up a different college in Odisha. At that point, during the prevalence of Maharaja Krushna Chandra Gajapati, who played a spearheading job in the foundation of the University, the suggestions of this board of trustees were made accessible. Pandit Godavarish Mishra, the at that point Pastor of Education, presented the Utkal University Bill, which was gone by the Odisha Legislative Assembly on 30th June 1943. On accepting the Governor's consent on second August 1943, the Utkal University Act, 1943 came into power, making room for the establishment of Utkal University on 27th November 1943. The University began working from this date in room no. 15 of Ravenshaw College, Cuttack. The Utkal University Act, 1943 did not determine obviously the regional purview of the University. Be that as it may, its ward was stretched out to incorporate the august conditions of Odisha by an understanding between the leaders of these regal states and the Government of Odisha. As indicated by the understanding, sufficient portrayal of the august states in the regulatory and scholastic assortments of the University was guaranteed. The Utkal University Act, 1943 was revised in 1947 characterizing the regional locale of the University, which was in this way reached out to the entire province of Odisha in 1950.
|Institute Type||State Government University|
|Name of the Institute||Utkal University - UU|
|Established||27 November 1943|